I’d say that Jordan Peterson is primarily against the hateful, shadow aspect in us that usually manifests as self-pity and resentment—not against the social constructivists and illiberal activists per se. Foremost, he’s against his own resentment. It’s not political at all—what he intends—it’s much deeper than that, it’s purely psychological. Peterson is all for the recognition and exposure of the inner tendency to hide behind (self-righteous) pretense. He is against self-delusion. Peterson is in effect struggling with himself (as we all do) and he is offering the exposure of his own struggles [assuming the role of the Tragedy King dancing his dance with the drama queens] as a way of overcoming the darkness in all of us.
Ray Peat says that life is a mystery that flowers and that it’s all about quickening. The alternative is fear and slow decay.
There are no pre-set, predetermined qualities one must seek to return to, they are drawn forth through engagement with life. Vitality is a function of quickening.
This is the difference between holding oneself in a vacuum of reluctance versus fearless quickening: or between guilt-ridden degeneration and unashamed rejuvenation.
There is a paradigmatic difference between going along to get along (or playing the social human game) out of choosing to do so and out of fear of not doing so. Fundamentally, it’s the difference between engaging others for real or being real with them as opposed to being fake or engaging others primarily to humour & please them. While the latter amounts to nothing more but plain sailing across the vacuous ocean of fear, adrift, forever seeking, the former ushers traversing rough patches of meaning, freely, lived as love.
Some cool pointers from Jordan Peterson:
- Some games you don’t get to play unless you’re all in. [~live life to the fullest]
- Don’t steal other people’s problems. [~the most you can offer is help others help themselves]
- Sacrifice relationships that retard the unfolding of (your) truth. [~the most you can give to others is your truth]
- Instead of aiming to be the entity without flaws aim to be the entity that continues to recognize and integrate its flaws. [~happiness is a byproduct of facing your fears]
You have nothing to lose but your face which is always-already tailor-made and fake. Let that inner cripple freely ripple. Cling to no cringe. Be the no-one that you truly are. Off the hinge. Off the cuff. Dance your own brand of breakdance.
You and your problems are as real as an optical illusion is real. Not more. Not less.
Being caught up in the self-improvement loop is better than indulging self-destructive alternatives. Still, you’re fundamentally operating from restlessness—wherein: Rather than letting the truest impulses find you, you are busy rushing things. Your mind compels you to bulletproof and forcefeed:
- your ’’brain’’ with knowledge and information
- your ’’persona’’ with newsletters, updates & feeds on social
- your muscles and tendons with (over)corrective stretches and excessive exercise
- your ’’gut’’ with supplements and supposedly nutritious foods
- your ’’soul’’ with spiritual teachings
All too busy deferring and buffering against the very wholeness that you seek.